Skip to main content

Why now?

Image from https://www.gagasisterhood.com/2015/5-tips-for-members-of-the-club-sandwich-generation/
Being aware that everything that goes into a device attached to the internet is there forever (like has been brought to awareness again with the privacy breaches of 2018) the details here may be a bit skimpy.
The term 'sandwich generation' seems to have fallen off my radar – this is the term for those folk who have elderly parents as well as children that still depend on them. This may likely be a more-common situation as life spans increase across the globe, so I'm sharing my perspective on being in this situation, and trying to make a better life for myself.

A cup of coffee to Mom,
gather dishes,
listen to a synopsis of his night.
Back to the title of the post: Why now?
I need a place to post my thoughts, experiences, and hopefully learn something from myself as this goes on.
I am a student, learning to do front-end development – for those of you who may not be aware of this, that means I build web sites, and am working on making more complex ones and applications for mobiles.
I am trying to also do my handicrafts, volunteer with an internet organization that has a goal I know is both attainable and profitable, and keep up on new and exciting changes in the larger world. Plus find time to do the self-care things, like brush my hair.
My goals for the past few months have looked like I simply copied them from the month before: this is not making progress. So, breaking things down into smaller goals, and doing them make help me see progress.






Popular posts from this blog

30 Days of Postman - for Testers!

  https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-and-brown-cat-lying-beside-a-laptop-and-toys-5468268/ Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels   Working with developer- focused tools can be a challenge for some testers: we may know what the words mean, but haven't used those skills recently enough to make the tasks simple. Or we may not have ever used them, other than at a quick glance to make sure that what we are getting matches what it should be sending. And some give results that require us to go find another team member to help interpret the results. Being a more-independent tester has always been one of my goals - being able to use the tools that are common in the team, and be able to do at least basic tasks that support my tests with them. Our team used Postman for many of the API tasks that we had, so exploring this tool was a natural fit. There are alternatives it there, both graphical and command line, so feel free to explore! The items that you can do, and tools that help

Where Is It? Part 1 - Inputs

Photo by Pixabay from Pexels     I am job-searching, and running into some coding challenges. Most of them are simple - some seem to want one-line solutions that require two cups of coffee and a half-hour to figure out what they want. Others are far above where my skills lie, and these I give a try for, and learn. And then there are the ones that offer, seemingly randomly, a challenge - within my skills (or at least my research skills) - that could be used as part of a larger project that I want to work on. This was the case last week, when I tried for a position that was a bit above what I felt I could do comfortably. The challenge was to let someone enter items, and then give back their location. In a language I am just familiar enough to be a danger to myself in. Happily, and thinking forward about how I could use this as a part of a larger program that would  use something like this to interact with the user. And also, this is command line, and thinking of how to set this up to

Getting to Explore: WSL2!

https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-and-white-laptop-2740956/ Photo by Prateek Katyal from Pexels   Working on a graphical interface system is a delight, but every once in a while, I want to return to the command line style of computing - it's fast, and can have impressive results for a system. Even before Windows came up with a full subsystem, having a virtual machine and a Linux terminal for using some things wasn't uncommon.Thankfully, the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) now exists, and is mature enough to handle most things. And once I experienced this style of computing, and the knowledge that most things were as simple to do with command-line terminals, I want to go back to the command line often.  But being invited to see how much use replay.io would be for a tester helped make this choice easy. Not only did I get a chance to return to a method I enjoy, but a new tool that could help communication between team members. And, now that I think about it, with stakeholder