Skip to main content

Redefining my Role

Multi-colored books, some with covers open, swirling downwards
Confession: I am a nice person.

I'm the one that will check on people - and be concerned if someone is acting off. Or donate money to make sure the potluck I can't attend has everything it needs.

This has had an effect on my career: I was less willing to point out 'in public' errors in the code or things that just felt off to me while testing. And this stopped me from being the best tester I could be. Trying to be kind to someone that was having a rough patch, or simply not wanting to expose them to a potential attack was both me trying to get things correct, but care for them.

I've decided to embrace this aspect of myself, and shift my focus. Being 'nice' to the product, or company must include being the voice for both end users and the team. Finding things that will be difficult for them, confusing, or flat-out wrong is a major part of my job.

And this was also one reason I don't 'delight', at first, when something doesn't work as expected: I'm standing in for them, so confusion or anger (and on the better days, delight that something works, and gives me a better-than-expected experience) is the first reaction - and sometimes the second, too. I have high standards, and want them met with minimal fuss.

This has also added 'more work' for me: I'm communicating these expectations in planning documents, test plans, and in and on the tests themselves. This was a shift for me - there are times that these documents are not wanted up front, but are needed later. Having them out, where they can be discussed, looked at, and added to is a help to be certain that work is done correctly, and small things don't get missed.

My users are the focus - even if they aren't human. And that, by itself, requires a different outlook on testing. I'm happy I can still test, find the things that are not clear and usable, and advocate for them to be changed, updated, or removed.

My next challenge in this area is to remember that it isn't my role to make that final decision: I will point out, offer examples, and document the risk that I see. The decision of what to do with that information isn't my role - but I'm going to be nice, and make sure you have that information and a record of where it was found.

Popular posts from this blog

30 Days of Postman - for Testers!

  https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-and-brown-cat-lying-beside-a-laptop-and-toys-5468268/ Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels   Working with developer- focused tools can be a challenge for some testers: we may know what the words mean, but haven't used those skills recently enough to make the tasks simple. Or we may not have ever used them, other than at a quick glance to make sure that what we are getting matches what it should be sending. And some give results that require us to go find another team member to help interpret the results. Being a more-independent tester has always been one of my goals - being able to use the tools that are common in the team, and be able to do at least basic tasks that support my tests with them. Our team used Postman for many of the API tasks that we had, so exploring this tool was a natural fit. There are alternatives it there, both graphical and command line, so feel free to explore! The items that you can do, and tools that help

Where Is It? Part 1 - Inputs

Photo by Pixabay from Pexels     I am job-searching, and running into some coding challenges. Most of them are simple - some seem to want one-line solutions that require two cups of coffee and a half-hour to figure out what they want. Others are far above where my skills lie, and these I give a try for, and learn. And then there are the ones that offer, seemingly randomly, a challenge - within my skills (or at least my research skills) - that could be used as part of a larger project that I want to work on. This was the case last week, when I tried for a position that was a bit above what I felt I could do comfortably. The challenge was to let someone enter items, and then give back their location. In a language I am just familiar enough to be a danger to myself in. Happily, and thinking forward about how I could use this as a part of a larger program that would  use something like this to interact with the user. And also, this is command line, and thinking of how to set this up to

Thanks Giving 2018

http://thriveology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/ThankfulGrateful.jpg It is that season for we Americans: a time to look back at the past year, and count our blessings.  Thanksgiving has come to mean different things then while I was growing up - the focus is no longer on what has gone right, but what wrongs were (and, in some cases continue to be) done. I try and focus on what I can do to minimize the wrong, and accept that the past has happened. And then the fun begins - finding all the things to be thankful for! Things have been rocky, at points this year, I'm still unemployed for money, and have had some serious personal issues arise and be dealt with. But, all in all, I think the bad is outweighed by the good.  This has been a year of changes: not only have I given up on trying to go back to the way things used to be, I have moved forward - supported, encouraged, and occasionally pulled - into a future that I just now am starting to feel I deserve. I still am